We have 4 Weego TWIN carriers to rent at It’s A Sling Thing which can be found in our Twin Specific and Tandem Carriers section. They are often booked out for 12 week hires and are back with us long enough to be washed and dried and sent out to their next user, such is the demand we have found for them. This article takes a look at one of the carriers that is often referred to as a “lifesaver” by twin parents.
Features of the Weego TWIN carrier
The Weego TWIN carrier is specially designed to work with newborn twins including premature babies from 4lbs each. It has an adjustable inner pocket system to alter the size and height of the pouches into which each baby is placed, allowing it to be used from tiny babies to less tiny baby stage. As each pocket is adjusted separately it is possible to change the height of one twin without affecting the height of the other, which is ideal for babies with different starting sizes and rates of growth, and allows you to tailor their pocket to their needs at that time.
The structured waistband takes some weight away from the shoulders and the height-adjustable comfort strap at the back increases comfort by ensuring that the straps don’t slide off your shoulders, so you can maintain your natural stance whilst carrying and comforting your young babies. Young babies particularly find the movement, warmth and closeness to their caregiver reassuring and calming and the upright position can help with any digestive discomfort that babies might experience.
Most of our customers find it perfect from newborn to around 3 to 4 months old, although some for as long as 5 to 6 months, whilst the babies enjoy being snuggled up close in a womb-like cocoon, which is why many of our customers tend to hire them for 12 week hires which largely cover their ideal use period.
The Weego TWIN Carrier is a relatively simple carrier to use:
Preparing the carrier
- Size each pouch appropriately (For babies under 7lbs ensure security loops and buttons are fastened.)
- Do up the comfort strap, put it over your head and put arms through arm holes
- Tighten shoulder straps so that your comfort strap sits comfortably (Often the lower it is the more comfortable people find it)
- Fasten Waist band
- Check for comfort and adjust straps so carrier is positioned high on your chest. is snug and feels comfy.
Putting babies in
- Guide the first baby’s legs through the leg holes of the inner pouch.
- Zip inner pouch closed
- Close buckle on outer pouch collar
- Tighten inner pouch waist strap
- Zip outer pouch
- Adjust collar, and if outer pouch seems too large fold the collar in to give more support to the neck.
- Repeat steps 1-6 with second baby
- Check that you can see both babies’ faces and are confident that their chins are not collapsing onto their chests so that their airways will remain clear. If care is taken to ensure a pelvic tuck it can support a ergonomic “Hip Healthy” position, but this can take more practice to achieve than with other options. This photo shows the leg positioning that you are aiming for.
The Weego TWIN is easily machine washable – on low temperatures, and a low spin cycle using a detergent with no optical brighteners, it can even be tumble dried at low temperatures – a must for anything involving newborn babies and doubly so with twins!
The Weego TWIN Carrier’s Instruction manual is available on our Manufacturer’s Instructions page
Thank you to the parents of Twin Sling Facebook Group for sharing their carrying photos and stories.